The year 2021 (MMXXI)is here finally here with us, the events of the year 2020 made the year 2021 seem far away. The pandemic disrupted life as we knew it, and at some point, during the year we didn’t know what to expect the next morning.
A few facts about the year 2021, did you know that United Nations declared 2021 as the international year of Peace and Trust, the international year of Creative Economy for sustainable development, the year of Fruits and Vegetables, and the international year for the Elimination of Child Labour. (I thought you should know)
Self-study has many definitions, the one I like best is the definition by author Malcolm Knowles (1913-1997). He defines Self-study as, “a process by which individuals take the initiative, with or without the assistance of others, in diagnosing their learning needs, formulating learning goals, identifying human and material resources for learning, and evaluating learning outcomes”, this means being in charge of what you are learning, especially for those who are no longer in a formal school set-up.
Self-study can be a very unnerving activity. However, to stay relevant in an ever-changing world, self-learning is a critical skill you need to acquire.
Here are twenty quotes to motivate you as you self-study in areas of your interest in the year 2021 and beyond.
- Self-education is lifelong curiosity.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
- With self-discipline, self-study is possible.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Schoolbooks and formal education does not teach a student how to raise his or her emotional and social intelligence proficiency. A person must resort his or her own devices – their sense of agency and self-esteem – in order to succeed in an increasingly complex world.”― Kilroy J. Oldster,
- “A great soul admits its faults and explores its ignorance. We are born oblivious and through a life of study, we become acutely aware of our limitations.”― Kilroy J. Oldster
- The only way to know is to learn, relearn and unlearn.”
― Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is.”― Isaac Asimov
- “The entire world is my school and all humanity is my teacher.”― George Whitman
- “We need to move beyond the idea that an education is something provided for us, and toward the idea that an education is something that we create for ourselves.” ~ Stephen Downes
- “Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.” ~ Jim Rohn
- “For self-educated scientists and thinkers such as Charles Darwin, Srinivasa Ramanujan, Leonardo-da-Vinci, Michael Faraday, myself and many others, education is a relentless voyage of discovery. To us education is an everlasting quest for knowledge and wisdom.”― Abhijit Naskar,
- “To create something new, knowledge is essentially required, but not academic degree.”― Rajib Lochan Dhibar
- “The wisest mind has something yet to learn.” ~ George Santayana
- “The purpose of learning is growth, and our minds, unlike our bodies, can continue growing as we continue to live.” ~ Mortimer Adler
- “None of the world’s problems will have a solution until the world’s individuals become thoroughly self-educated.” – Buckminster Fuller
- “Through the power of self-education, you can be anything you want to be or do anything you want to do. Self-education power does not require money, fixed time or fixed lifestyle. Options are extremely flexible. Rewards are unlimited. You can control your destiny.” – Bob Webb,
- “I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.” – Mark Twain
- “You learn at your best when you have something you care about and can get pleasure in being engaged in.”- Howard Gardner
- I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.” – Socrates
- “I know of nothing more inspiring than that of making discoveries for one’s self.” – George Washington Carver
- “Education is not a product: mark, diploma, job, money–in that order; it is a process, a never-ending one.”- Bel Kaufman